Frank Der Yuen was an internationally respected aeronautical engineer, airline executive, and consultant. A graduate of Harvard and MIT, he designed the all-weather, self-propelled passenger loading bridges for airliners that are used in every major airport. Mr. Der Yuen served as Executive Director of the Honolulu Airlines Committee, and vice president of Aloha Airlines. He was one of the designers of the Daniel K. Inouye (Honolulu) International Airport, and helped create Pacific Aerospace Museum once housed there.
The Frank Der Yuen Aviation Scholarship honors the aviation legacy of Frank Der Yuen. It is a competitive program that supports Hawaii residents who want to pursue aviation-related education and training. Financial grants of at least $1,000 are awarded each year to Hawaii residents who have been accepted, or are enrolled, in an aviation-related program at an accredited trade school, college, or university. Awards will be made without regard to gender, race, religion, or national origin. Applicant must be a U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident.
Prior to awarding the scholarship the applicant must provide an acceptance letter and course content from the selected vocational school, college, or university. Funds will be mailed/wired directly to the institution.
Other Scholarship Requirements
- Complete required application.
- Two letters of recommendations submitted directly to the Pearl Harbor Aviation Museum Scholarship Committee by the recommender at www.pearlharboraviationmuseum.org/recommendation-letter/
- Provide personal statement of 750 words or less to include:
a. Defining the desired aviation career field.
b. Statement of previous work experience or education showing commitment to the pursuit of an aviation career.
c. Summary of achievements in the desired field of aviation.
- Be available for in-person or video conference interview.
Interview and Notification:
- Applicants will be notified via email the date, time, and method of the interview with the selection committee.
- Winners of the Frank Der Yuen Aviation Scholarship will be notified by Pearl Harbor Aviation Museum Executive Director no later than 24 hours after selections are made.
- Awardee will have up to 60 days to accept the scholarship terms and conditions as specified in the award notification.