The Col. Robert P. Moore Scholarship
The 2019 Scholarship application period is now open. We will accept application materials from candidates until February 15, 2019, at midnight HST.
The Col. Robert P. Moore Scholarship offers two different options to help deserving students with the support and incentive needed to continue their study.
Initial Pilot Training: Supports Hawaii residents in acquiring their initial FAA aircraft pilot certificate. The scholarship can be used for any level pilot certificate, including: 1) private, sport, recreation, and 2) in any category of aircraft—airplane, rotorcraft, glider, or LTA. Drone pilot certification is NOT approved.
FAA Certified Flight Instructor (CFI): Awarded to Hawaii-based FAA Commercial Pilots (or ATPs) getting their initial or additional FAA Certified Flight Instructor (CFI) certificate in any FAA Category aircraft. The applicant must have already satisfactorily completed the FAA-required written test(s) for the CFI certificate, if applicable. A copy of the test completion certificate(s) must be provided with the scholarship application.
Please Note: Scholarship recipients have up to one year to complete stated flight goals after notice of award. Scholarship funds are distributed to the training provider and/or student. If the student is enrolled in a collegiate program, the funds are sent directly to the college or university for the student’s account. For a FAA FAR 141 Flight School, funds are provided after student completes training, and the school attests to the achievement of certain benchmarks (usually solo or after 15-20 hours). Additional details will be provided to scholarship awardees.
Applicant requirements for either scholarship:
- A completed online application and a one-page essay.
- Eligible applicant must be a Hawaii resident, meet the FAA requirements of the certificate according to 14 CFR 61, and have passed an FAA medical examination. Flight training must be completed through a collegiate flight provider or an FAA FAR 141 Certified Flight School.
- Complete the online application (now closed).
- Prepare a brief written essay (no more than 1 page) answering the following questions:
For the Initial Pilot Training Scholarship:
(1) Why do you want to become a pilot?
(2) What factors have inspired you to pursue pilot training?
(3) What are your long-term goals in relation to aviation?
For the FAA Certified Flight Instruction (CFI) Scholarship:
(1) Why do you want to earn your CFI?
(2) How can this rating help you to contribute to the aviation industry?
- Submit the written essay, and copies of applicable certificates by email to Scholarships@PacificAviationMuseum.org or mail copies of these items to:
Pacific Aviation Museum
ATTN: Scholarship Committee
319 Lexington Blvd