Museum Docent – Tower TourSeptember 13, 2023
Museum Docent – Tower Tour (Full- Time)
Pearl Harbor Aviation Tower Tour Docents are enthusiastic, energetic, and engage visitors in exceptional learning and historic experiences. As a member of a professional team committed to facilitating high-quality learning experiences, the Tower Tour Docent supports all facets of planning and delivering tour programs to Museum visitors. Additionally, the Tower Tour Docent provides logistical and administrative support for tours and collaborates effectively across departments to accomplish established goals.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides safety instruction, coordination and support for Tower Tours under the direction of the Visitor Experience Manager
- Provides an entertaining and engaging, informative, and historical tour of historic Pearl Harbor locations visible from the Ford Island Tower
- Assists visitors in exhibit galleries, operates simulators and conducts presentations and/or guided tours as needed. All training provided
- Assists departmental staff in planning, evaluation, and administrative duties as needed
- Develops positive and effective working relationships with colleagues and partners
- Respects and enjoys working with members of the public. Is patient, kind, and consistent with guests
- Enjoys being animated and interactive with guests – a stage actor
- Highly guest service oriented
- Works independently and as a productive team member
- Takes initiative, and accepts responsibility for actions
- Deals professionally and sensitively with diverse constituents within the Museum and the community
- Displays a commitment to continuous learning and professional growth
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Strong people and communication skills, including diplomacy and empathy
- Enthusiasm to work as a team member and for the success of the Museum
- Ability to remain calm and effective during high traffic times
- Ability to help keep individuals calm who may be uncomfortable with heights or small spaces
- Ability to pass a navy-issued background check
Education, Experience and Skill: Degree from an accredited college or university is highly preferred, especially in History or Education. Experience with public speaking or presentations helpful. Aviation or Air Traffic Control (ATC) background helpful, but not required. Quality experience and skill can substitute for education.
Communication Skills: Ability to project and communicate effectively. Ability to read, analyze, and interpret documents. Ability to respond effectively to the inquiries or complaints. Ability to make effective and persuasive presentations on Museum topics.
Interpersonal Skills: Use considerable initiative, creativity, judgment, and problem-solving. Requires being able to deal with difficult people or situations; and establishing and maintaining cooperative and productive work relationships. Ability to excite and engage guests with the stories and exhibits within the Museum and viewable from the tower.
Working Conditions: The position requires working at the top of the tower and operating a four-person elevator.
Schedule: Monday – Friday, weekend availability
Pay: $17 an hour
Benefits: Health coverage, paid-time off, flexible schedule
Pearl Harbor Aviation Museum is a nonprofit 501(c) 3 at-will employer, located on Ford Island Naval Military base. Employees must pass a background screening, which is handled by the U.S. Navy
Hawaii-based applicants preferred. No relocation assistance is offered. To apply, please submit resume, cover letter and any relevant work samples to [email protected]. No calls, please.
Pearl Harbor Aviation Museum is an equal opportunity employer.
The above information is intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by an individual in this job. It is not to be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications of an individual chosen for this job. Pearl Harbor Aviation Museum has the right to add, revise or delete information in this description. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position. Salary commensurate with experience.